Circus Mirage

Circus Mirage does multimedia performance art involving circus and illusion to bring beauty and magic to life. Circus Mirage sometimes uses artists and musicians from the community and often does events involving audience participation. Kim Keown is an avant-garde performance artist. She also teaches talented youth and adults circus skills. Circus shows are scheduled to allow these students to perform their new skills. Circus Mirage is available to do events. circusmirage@gmail.com

Friday, July 31, 2009

Puerto Rican Parade Character

This clown was designed for the Puerto Rican Parade. I agreed to do the gig with George Anastos as long as I didnt have to walk the entire parade carrying all my props-hula hoops, juggling stuff, poi, etc...it can be quite a heavy basket...
Creative genius that he is... made a plastic shopping cart into a base amp totin low rider that had the folks on the side lines howling and pointing at us. He mostly pushed me, but I also pushed for a while and when the parade slowed or stopped we both got out to do tricks. We even had beach/ lawn chairs that we set up to create the scene and have a rest-in character of course.

I wish I had pictures of us in the apparatus but I have not been offered any as of yet... nor do I know any of the numerous people who were snapping photos that day...back in summer a few years ago. I just found these two shots on my phone. I guess I had grabbed them to document my character that day in two mirrors I have downstairs before I left for the gig. I had to borrow a truck to bring everything down and then drive it back and take the T down in my costume. I do get some looks sometimes...
And thank God for the umbrella hat, because it was a sunny sunny day. I would have been burned. I cant see any clown shoes and I cant remember which ones I wore, I am sure the props were matching though...

We were exhausted after this gig but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home